Gideon

Gideon
Gideon at 6 weeks

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Living and Learning

Adding new family members is never without some sort of headache in some regard. With dogs, it's usually working on building up a routine, working on set backs, and maintaining firm consistency when the dog throws you a random curve ball. With Gideon being a cat, it's of course a bit different, but we're working through it nonetheless.

For starters, we'll discuss what's going well and better than anticipated.


  • Gideon and the Dogs. I knew Ahri and Gideon would be pals, but I'm pleased with my greyhound's ambivalent reactions towards him and their patience as he enjoys pouncing and nomming on their tails and feet if given the chance. Ferguson has even taken a liking to him and tried to play briefly, though they will still need to figure each other out in time. The greyhounds are consistently muzzled around Gideon, however, just for safety's sake. I only worry about them behaving normally and snapping at him in annoyance and catching him. They are used to wearing their muzzles whenever unsupervised, however, and whenever outside together, so they don't seem to mind too much, as awkward as they look to bystanders. 
  • Gideon's Eating Habits. I love that he is usually open to eating anything I offer and is not opposed to raw food. This morning he ate a whole 1.5 oz of whole ground chicken for breakfast, and will receive canned for lunch today per his timed feeder. He also eats sardines (though doesn't love them) and egg yolks (though also doesn't love them), whenever he is hungry. Goats milk is another favorite, and one I appreciate since it's and easy snack that doesn't instantly go bad. 
  • Gideon's Collar Wearing. I was worried at first, as the two collars I'd purchased very cheaply for him were both too big and distracted him to where he hated wearing them. On a last whim, I decided to try a different style that could be much more adjusted to his tiny neck size, but is elastic for safety should it catch on anything. It's orange, so not my favorite color, but I'm pleased with how he is not bothered by it at all! He's been wearing it for days now with no issue. I'm glad he is happily wearing a collar and makes me feel better in case he should somehow accidentally get out. We will be microchipping him when he gets neutered at around 6 months of age. 
  • Gideon's Affection. He sure knows how to make you feel loved. He always comes to greet me at the door and seeks out my lap whenever he gets sleepy and I'm around. Even though he is still a crazy little baby tiger like all kittens are, I swear that I can see his docile, affectionate nature beneath the kitten instinct and playful energy. When he's been all played out, he wants nothing more than to be with you. 
  • Gideon's Grooming. He loves to be brushed, though right now I don't get much fluff off of him, regardless of what type of brush or comb I use. I do it every day or every other day, and it doesn't seem to matter much; I think he just doesn't have enough fur yet! He also tolerates his nails being trimmed, particularly if he is sleepy (which is good enough for me). 
Then there are a few things that are more challenging than I anticipated. 

  • The litter box. Gideon's habits have been great and we've had no accidents. However, I am detesting the Precious Cat litter we're currently using and have another 25lbs of to get through. It is clay based, and while it does a good job of being favorable to the cat and covering any noticeable odor, I'm annoyed with how much waste sticks to the bottom of the tray to where it really takes some muscle to work out, which in turn breaks the clumps and makes the job that much more messy -_-. I'm planning on switching to Oko cat, a natural alternative, the first chance we get in hopes that it works a bit better like the reviews say. Additionally, due to Gideon attempting to use a storage basket for a litter box last night (he didn't, but it was close), I've relented and decided we will need a box on both floors of the house, just as everyone told me we would. Tonight, Arik and I will be going over litter box options AGAIN, and will see about getting one in the next few weeks. I don't think I can trust Gideon out unsupervised without a second box. 
  • Gideon's meows. I'm hoping this decreases a bit with age and as Gideon gets more freedom in his life, but for now, his meowing is something to get used to. He doesn't do it A TON, and is generally quiet when he is content. However, if he wants something, he is persistent in telling you all about it.  Since we ignore him, I'm also hoping the behavior will extinguish itself in time, at least a bit more than what is going on now. 
  • Gideon's energy. I've of course heard about kittens being little tigers, but imagined I'd be able to exhaust him with a bit of effort. While I can do this, it's not nearly as black and white as I imagined. I can spend HOURS getting him to play and he still doesn't exactly ever "crash" the way I thought he would. He also has remarkable recovery time. They don't call them "cat naps" without reason. He is good to go after a 20 minute power nap, and we're almost back to square one. I feel like this is even more noticeable because we've essentially conditioned him to sleep during the day, and also most of the night. I guess it's only natural that he's active when we're home, but it's certainly a lot more than I was anticipating. I've read that kittens are most energetic at 3-4 months, and that it steadily decreases in time after that. I am looking forward to this becoming more of a thing. I love playing with him and do designate 30-90 minutes a day to it, but it would be nice if this reliably did the trick for him in the future to be easier to predict. 
Gideon, sporting his collar while exploring the herb garden.

Every day is an adventure and a learning experience. It's exhausting much more than I thought, but I also know to savor it, as he'll only be this small and cute for a short period of time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment