Gideon

Gideon
Gideon at 6 weeks

Friday, June 3, 2016

He Comes Home Tomorrow!

Gideon isn't even here yet, and the planning for his arrival has been almost overwhelming. As an animal nerd and trainer of dogs, I've spent the last several months researching all I can about cats in eager anticipation, as well as preparation to ensure everything goes smoothly. Despite having worked with rescues, boarding cats, and feline veterinary patients for years, I was surprise to learn how very little I knew, or most people really, seem to know and understand about house cats in general. I think my favorite book might have been Think Like a Cat by Pam Johnson-Bennett, but I may have also become a fan-girl of Jackson Galaxy along the way ^_^.

One of the more interesting aspects of my research in trying to find the best ways to raise a happy, well-adjusted feline is how little control you have over making any cat do what you want. It seems like the most you can accomplish is usually achieved by manipulating the cat's environment and being really good at playing with them so they are relaxed and don't have enough energy to bother doing anything too mischievous, and making food a significant resource. This will be a really unique challenge to me as I am so used to working with dogs, an animal that naturally cares to appease me to be included as a member of the group. For any issues that arise, a firm word or non-verbal cue that I might heavily rely on thus far in my existence and daily ritual with my dogs will mean little to nothing to the cat.

Still, we'll be moving forward! There were many different colors to choose from, but it was far more important to us to have a good match and pleasant to live with feline rather than a very pretty one. We specifically asked the breeder for her most "chill" and go-with-the-flow kitten in hopes that he'll be most agreeable with all our very low key dogs and be more forgiving to us as new cat owners finding their way. Her response was saying hands down, a red male classic tabby, also the mother cat's favorite of the litter.

We were able to go visit Gideon (Arik picked the name, and for a ginger cat, I feel like it's pretty well suited!) when he was 7 weeks old, and found what the breeder said to be pretty accurate. While his sisters rushed doors and attacked Arik's shoe laces, Gideon remained pretty content and less busy, though not seeming at all shy. Just chill.

Gideon is 10 weeks old today and comes home tomorrow! The guest room is all set up for him as his base-camp, and we'll have all weekend to help get him adjusted, as well as tag-teaming to keep the dogs well exercised and mellow while our attentions might be directed elsewhere ;). We'll see how he does, and if all goes well, will start very gradual introductions with each individual dog after a few days.

It's been a long six months. We can't wait to bring him home :).

Look at those paws!





No comments:

Post a Comment